Tuesday 24 January 2012

How I take pictures

In the past, I have told you about the cameras I use to take pictures for this blog. Today, I will tell you a little about the other factors that impact my photography.

My camera has a lovely display screen that I can shift and adjust. I use both it and the view finder, depending on the situation. The screen is a great help when I'm trying to get pictures from an odd angle, subtlely, or somewhere above my head. The view finder is a necessity when it's bright out. (If you are looking for a new point and shoot camera, get one that has a view finder if you can - you'll miss it if you don't have it, even as a casual photographer.)

I shoot the highest quality photo my camera can - the largest number of pixels, largest size. Memory cards (my camera takes ordinary SD) can hold a huge number of images now, even of a large size, so there is no reason to restrict yourself by taking smaller images. I've seen advice in the past that for "everyday" pictures, you should use a smaller or lower quality to save space... and while that may have mattered when memory cards only held 256MB, I bought a 32GB, class 10 card on Boxing Day for $20 or $30, from a reliable name. That's probably way larger than I'll ever need, but for the price, it was worth it.

I shoot in full colour the majority of the time - as an early instructor told us again and again, you can take things away in post-processing, but you can't put them in.

I also tend to take multiple shots of the same thing. Again, memory cards have huge capacities, so I make tweaks to viewing angle, settings, or even just take several to make sure at least one is in focus.

I also take a camera just about everywhere I go. Of course, my phone has a camera, but I find that one highly unsatisfying most of the time. However, in a pinch, at least I have something. When I can, I will take one of my regular cameras - the point-and-shoot comes with me to work every day, and often accompanies me on small outings. The larger SX10 comes with me on even the shortest of car trips, and on many other outings as well. It's just about the only camera I use if I'm taking pictures at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment