Wednesday 11 January 2012

Impatient

An ongoing problem for me is that I'm not very patient. I don't usually take the time I need to properly compose my pictures. I focus on my subject, and generally forget about the background, and that always ends up disappointing me. Maybe someday I'll learn!


Totem poles are quite large, so to capture any detail, you have to do it in parts. That's fine. I liked the detail on this totem then and I do now. It's striking. What I don't like is my oversight with regards to the background. This mural would make a wonderful background... if I had positioned myself so that the left wing covered that window. I should also have take this a little brighter and a little darker, for comparison. Brighter might have completely washed out the bird's throat and the mural, and darker might have overly dulled the lower figure, but it would be nice to see.

It's not really a bad picture, but I'm adding the "bad-pic" tag anyway, since it seems to be the one I've adopted to mean "I can learn something specific from this picture" - which would be way too long for a tag.


Auto white balance, 0 exposure bias, ISO 800, aperture 4.0 and 1/250 exposure length.

No comments:

Post a Comment